Thursday, July 10, 2008

Attempts at joining the blogging world...

I've been wanting to start a blog for what seems like forever now, and I really don't know what exactly was holding me back for so long. So, here I am. I felt like I needed to at least introduce myself to the blogging world in this first post.

I'd always thought I'd end up a writer. And here I am now, in nursing school...on the other end of the spectrum. I wanted to write for a popular women's magazine, namely In Style or Glamour, but I guess I wasn't patient enough to twither along at the bottom, paying my dues. I tried to do just that and worked for a commercial real estate magazine (yawn...) for a year. Then I moved into the PR world and wrote press releases and such for my home state's 150-year-old hospital for the mentally ill. Needless to say, being asked to put a positive spin on schizophrenia and dissociative disorders zapped me of my creative energies quickly...and made me feel a little phony at the same time. "Robin Williams was diagnosed with schizophrenia, and he's an Oscar-winning actor. If he can do it, you can too!" See what I mean?

My life now is very different. Each day I'm faced with cold, hard facts...there's nothing subjective about the workings of the human body. And I actually love that. I can feel my creative juices trying to break through once again, however, so this blog will be that outlet...Lindsey's Lingerings is really for me, but if I do have some readers, I'd love to read your comments.

Until next time...

No comments: