Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Fact o' the day...

A female doctor (and breast cancer survivor) told me yesterday that women automatically cut their breast cancer risks 50% by exercising...50% is not something to play around with! She told me, "It's not something you need to try to do...it's something you have to do." She said it's currently recommended to get 4 hours of cardio a week...so that's 40 minutes, 6 days a week.

I'm currently doing some research on foods and vitamins women need to add or remove from their diets to cut that risk even more...I do know (begrudgingly) that alcohol increases your risks. Why, oh why, does it have to be alcohol? Why can't it be something no one likes, something like pork rinds or beets?

I do know that it's all a balancing act. I want to do what I can, within reason, to reduce my risks, but I also want to enjoy this one life I've been given. So I'll be exercising 6 days a week, and I'll add more vitamins to my daily routine...but I'll also continue drinking my wine...in moderation, why of course...

2 comments:

Christi said...

Yay! You have a blog! Good info!

Katie said...

Ugh, why is it so hard for us to just accept things like this and make them part of our regular routine? I'm currently %100 in the "I try to work out (but rarely do) and try to limit the drinking to once a week (but usually clock in with an average of 2 1/2 to 3)" category. When we were younger it was easier to think of healthy habits as something to be worried about later...but later is NOW I guess. I'll appreciate any future tips you've got!