Saturday, August 09, 2008

My first mammogram

My first mammogram...not as fond a memory as "my first kiss" or "my first love" or "my first car." But it's a memory nonetheless. I had my first mammogram yesterday. I'm only 27, but with my family history, my doctor recommended I go ahead and get a baseline. I also had an MRI done of both breasts. Yes, I felt a little dehumanized after leaving the doctor's office.

The MRI was nothing...I just wish it cost nothing. They gave me a high dose of xanax prior since I had to lie on my belly for about an hour for the test. I think the dose of xanax would've knocked a horse out. I slept through the entire thing and could barely walk afterwards I was so medicated.

Once the MRI was finished, I prepared for the mammogram. The mammogram was not my favorite. I'm not going to paint a pretty picture and tell all of the women out there that it really doesn't hurt too bad. It hurts like a b*tch. I really had no idea my breasts could be flattened so much. The tech grabs one boob at a time and puts it on a metal plate. She then winds down a metal plate on top of it...and keeps winding until your boob pretty much loses all of its color and is as flat as a pancake. She then takes a picture, and if she doesn't like that picture enough, she flattens the boob out some more for the next Kodak moment. I was pleasantly surprised, however, that they do pop right back into shape after the mauling is over.

In all seriousness...I am thankful. My breasts are cancer-free, and with a doctor who chooses to keep a close watch on my breast health (alternating mammograms and MRIs every 6 months), they will likely stay cancer-free...or worst case scenario, if I ever develop breast cancer, it will be detected early...early enough that it can be treated, and my life will go on. I wish more than anything that the same could be said for my mother. She died 18 years ago today of this terrible disease.

I love you, Mom, and miss you deeply.

No comments: